The Stentorians Organization was founded in 1954 by a collective effort of African-American firefighters at station 30 and 14 on Central Ave. With Fireman Jerva Harris as the first President followed by Captain Bob Craig. Fireman Gerald George came up with the name Stentorians for the appropriateness speaking out against the fire department's segregation policy.
Their purpose was to combat the racism and blatant bigotry that prevented African-Americans from joining and advancing in the fire service. The Stentorians fought to make the fire service a profession of equality and opportunity for all.
To better serve the diverse needs of our members, the Stentorians organization restructured in 1990, forming two chapters; The Stentorians of Los Angeles County and The Stentorians of Los Angeles City. Today, the entire Stentorians membership consists of more than 500 AFRICAN-AMERICAN men and women Fire Personnel. The Stentorians also belong to the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters, IABPFF, a national organization promoting equality for the fire service nationwide.
The Stentorians organization maintains Old Station 46, one of the FIRST fire stations integrated by the Los Angeles City Fire Department, as its office and training facility. This facility is now named in honor of Arnett Hartsfield and Van Davis. Both are former firefighters of the City and County Fire Departments, respectfully.